St Francis' Class - Year R
This term the topics are going to be: "Creepy Crawlies" & "The Seaside"
The children will be learning about:
- insects and habitats
- Stories from the Bible (Can they tell you a Bible story?)
- The sea and underwater animals
In Mathematics, we are aiming for all children in the class to be able to :
- Add and subtract two numbers and count on or back to find the answer
- Solve problemns including doubling, halving and sharing
- Explore shapes and use mathematical language to describe them
In English, the main areas of focus are as follows:
- To instantly recognise 'tricky' sounds, ie, oa.ai.or.ir etc
- To read and understand simple sentences
- To write a simple sentence independently (remembering finger spaces and full stops)
The Phonics scheme used in KS1 is Phonics Play which is based on Letters and Sounds.
Please encourage your child to read and write at home. Talk to them about their writing habits, encourage them to keep a daily diary or to help you write shopping lists. We want to inspire children and to help them develop positive attitudes towards all kinds of writing.