St Joseph's Class - Year 1
The topic this half term is: "Messing about on the River"
This term the children will be learning about :
- The importance of the River Arun on our local area
- The differences between physical and human features
- A contrasting river in a location outside of Europe
In Mathematics, we are aiming for all children in the class to be able to :
- Use the fair operations to solve problems
- tell the time to the half hour
- Be confident in giving directions using 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full turns
In English, the main areas of focus are as follows :
- Retelling the story of a fish's journey along a river
- Writing a river story about the journey of our river
- Information booklet about the River Arun
The Phonics scheme used in KS1 is Phonics Play which is based on Letters and Sounds.
Please encourage your child to read and write at home. Talk to them about their writing habits, encourage them to keep a daily diary or to help you write shopping lists. We want to inspire children and to help them develop positive attitudes towards all kinds of writing.