St Mary's Class - Year 2
This term the topic is going to be: "Messing about on the river"
The children will be learning about:
- Recognise and name the world's continents, oceans and rivers
- Understand the differences between physical and human features
- Visit the River Arun for fieldwork (map reading and compass work(
Mathematics, we are aiming for all children in the class to be able to :
- Multiply and divide using the 2x, 5x and 10x tables
- Know and understand the fractions 1/2, 3/4, 1/4 etc
- Solve simple problems and explain how they solved them
In English, the main areas of focus are as follows:
- Retelling the story of a fish's journey along a river
- Creating an Information Booklet about the River Arun
- Writing a river story about the journey of our own river
- individual and Guided Reading
The Phonics scheme used in KS1 is Phonics Play which is based on Letters and Sounds.
Please encourage your child to read and write at home. Talk to them about their writing habits, encourage them to keep a daily diary or to help you write shopping lists. We want to inspire children and to help them develop positive attitudes towards all kinds of writing.